Re: Slides from the I18N BOF

tis 2003-06-24 klockan 11.29 skrev Ole Laursen:
> > I've just put up the slides from the I18N BOF at GU4DEC on
> > http://www.menthos.com/l10n/menthos-bof.sxi and
> > http://www.menthos.com/l10n/gu4dec-i18n-bof/ (HTML version). They also
> > contain my very brief mental notes from the discussions.
>
> Interesting stuff. Seems that the BOF was succesful. Could you tell us
> a little bit more about the event for those of us who weren't at
> GUADEC? How many did participate?

Perhaps around 20 people or so, more than I had expected. IIRC, there
were even more after the other talks had ended at 18:00, even though
some had to leave. We only had a one hour slot allocated at the end of
the day at 17:00, but in the end we exceeded our time with a whole
additional hour, until the building closed at 19:00. There was many
topics so we didn't really get to the bottom with any of them, I think,
and even less so for the last ones. But I do think that we managed to
have somewhat useful discussions about many of the current translation
problems, and at least got some of the issues sorted out with gswitchit
and its potential place in GNOME.

I was also pleasantly surprised that we managed to get both developers
and translators there, and also docs people, and many other hackers. A
big thanks to all who attended!

> Regarding the menu path stuff
>
>   http://www.menthos.com/l10n/gu4dec-i18n-bof/img12.html
>
> was there any consensus? I'm thinking about sending a letter to
> gtk-devel and perhaps file a (long-term) bug.

Sounds like an excellent idea. I don't think there was any consensus per
se rather than Owen explaining that this message design wasn't
intentional but a consequence of the current GTK+ design, and then the
discussion died, and we moved on to the next topic. So the issue
probably at least needs a proper bug report.