Re: Proposal for declinations in gettext

> > > msgid "king"
>
> The problem seems obvious to me: It is plain incorrect that "king" is
> a separate msgid, if it is meant to be pasted in different
> contexts. Instead, it should be added into any context where it is
> meant to be pasted into, forming separate msgids.

Except that in the example given this would result in several thousand
messages (and this is after creating strings for all the possible card
names rather than doing sprintf("%s of %s", "king", "heart")).

Since it is clear that almost any generated string will break some rule in
some language thousands of strings may be the only "complete" solution. In
this particular case I have some creative solutions in mind to avoid the
problem, but that can't happen in general and I fear there will always be
some programs with either lots of strings or really bad translations into
some languages.

Hopefully this will be a very small number.

 - Callum