Re: Proposal for declinations in gettext
- From: Yann Dirson <ydirson altern org>
- To: Martin v. L÷wis <martin v loewis de>
- Cc: linux-utf8 nl linux org, Edward H Trager <ehtrager umich edu>,translation IRO UMontreal CA, translation-i18n lists sourceforge net,GNOME I18N List <gnome-i18n gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Proposal for declinations in gettext
- Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:54:36 +0200
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 06:30:50PM +0200, Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
> In my
> experience, this is only a small fraction of the programs, and
> usually, only the first translator runs into the problems - later
> translators will find the msgids in good shape.
That's probably true in many cases. But the examples given about
plurals and declinations show that it is difficult in some cases to
find unique english strings that will be possible map one to one in
> With any other approach *everybody* would need to relearn things,
> which is not feasible.
Yes, in any overhaul the benefits have to be weighted against the
Yann Dirson <firstname.lastname@example.org> | Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <email@example.com> | Support Debian GNU/Linux:
Pro: <firstname.lastname@example.org> | Freedom, Power, Stability, Gratuity
http://ydirson.free.fr/ | Check <http://www.debian.org/>
] [Thread Prev