Re: gnome status pages again

tor 2003-07-31 klockan 10.38 skrev pclouds:
> > Anyway, this seems like a bad idea. You can't expect the
> > maintainers to drop you a note, they have enough to worry
> > about.
>
> I think they could send a message to gnome-i18n. All teams will know
> what package is added/removed/branched.

There usually are lots of changes to the status pages besides just
adding or removing packages or correcting branches. Big or minor changes
in the pot file names, packages being moved from one largely irrelevant
category to another, etc. I doubt we would like to flood gnome-i18n with
notifications like this; notifications of the kind "module gnome-foo now
uses the pot file name gnome-foo-1.pot instead of gnome-foo-0.pot". It's
simply not very interesting information, would generate a lot of noise
on the list, and defeats the whole purpose of having the files in CVS to
begin with.

> > If the main status pages are not good enough, they should be
> > improved. I'd encourage you to contribute your changes back
> > to the status page maintainers. Then everyone can benefit
> > from your work.
>
> Currently, the additional information to gnome status pages is
> package translations' maintainer (not the last translator). Put this
> info into gnome status pages involving building a translator
> management system, because we can only allow team members to maintain
> translations.
>
> If i remember correctly, gnome status pages are generated
> automatically from xml. We'll need php to build a web system, not just
> automatic generation.
>
> I don't know if the gnome team wants to build such a system. If yes, i
> would please to contribute my work. Having a translator management
> system, we could create terminology dictionaries, online translation
> (team members only) ...

I think there's a lot of people interested in having such a system
(including me), so I think it would be time very well spent.