Re: Wonder if Matupi in Daai ???

ons 2003-07-09 klockan 18.08 skrev Noah Levitt:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 17:18:32 +0200, Martin Norbäck wrote:
> >
> > I think you should register a code with the IANA as per described in RFC
> > 3066 [1]. I hope these codes may be used for the language portion of the
> > LC_* variables.
>
> As I understand it, RFC 3066 language tags and posix locale
> names[1] aren't really related.

The standard says that "settings of language, [...] are implementation
defined". This means that a reasonable interpretation is to allow
iso639-[12] codes, and as an extension to that allow IANA language
codes. That's why I wrote "hope" above.

> > Is it one of these languages?
> >
> > http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=CKM (names Matupi as a
> > dialect, and a region)
> > http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=DAO (names Matupi as a
> > region)
>
> My impression from Russell's messages is that neither of
> these adequately specifies his language (or at least, his
> dialect), which is why I suggested @matupi.

I was under the imperssion that "sit" didn't specified the language
adequately, but hopefully one of the above does. If it doesn't, we still
should try to get a proper language code for it. If nothing else,
register it as sit-Matupi.

I still think using the @ notation is a worse choice than trying to get
a language code for the language. The modifier should be used for things
other than language, territory and codeset. Matupi is clearly a language
and should go into the language field.

The standard gives "selection the dictionary as opposed to the character
ordering of data" as an example of what to put in the modifier.

I don't know what glibc and gnome desktop files accept, but if the do
accept IANA language tags, I vote for using them. If they don't accept
them, I vote for changing the specs so that they do. :)

IANA language tags are clearly meant for these kinds of things, and used
in the http Accept-Language header for instance.

Regards,

	Martin

--
Martin Norbäck          d95mback@dtek.chalmers.se
Kapplandsgatan 40       +46 (0)708 26 33 60