Re: Two new strings in gnome-session

lör 2003-01-25 klockan 13.45 skrev Kjartan Maraas:
> > > I don't think adding unmarked strings or adding missing files in
> > > POTFILES.in counts as breaking the string freeze. I actually think this
> > > should be done ASAP at any time in the release process because the only
> > > think it affects is making it possible to localise these strings.
> >
> > Even in code freeze? Who will make sure that the "fix" doesn't introduce
> > new bugs if there is no review required?
>
> I didn't say it shouldn't be reviewed. Just that it should be done as
> soon as possible because of the implications.
>
> - not having a fully localisable desktop
> - because of this it does block localised docs in a way because you
> can't have localised screenshots before you have localised UI.

That's certainly true. And in my experience, the release team tries to
reply as soon as possible, so that important fixes can go in as soon as
possible. Of course everyone's a human and not available all the time,
but I think the release team has done a bloody well job(tm) in being
responsive to requests.

> > If a fix where additional strings are marked for translation is checked
> > in, but translators aren't notified, how can that be a better situation?
> > Beats me -- the net result is still untranslated stuff.
>
> Of course we should notify everyone and the change should be reviewed by
> the maintainer/release-team before commiting, but I don't think it
> affects string freeze, that's all.

Notice how I carefully never claimed that string freeze was broken in my
first mail -- I didn't know if the changes were approved or not, I only
knew that translators hadn't been notified.

As it turned out, it was certainly breaking string freeze, since noone
had given approval to or reviewed the change.

String freeze isn't (afaik) "no string changes may ever be committed"
but rather "no string changes may be committed without approval". Thus,
if there's approval, there's no string freeze breaking. How's that
different from your view?