Re: Two new strings in gnome-session

lør, 2003-01-25 kl. 12:54 skrev Christian Rose:
> lör 2003-01-25 klockan 12.40 skrev Kjartan Maraas:
> > > 	Not only did the person fixing this not notify translators, he did not
> > > even ask for approval from the maintainer. I'm not happy about this and
> > > I'd like an explanation. Now please.
> > >
> > > 	Christian, I'll happily revert this patch - just let me know. The
> > > change will *not* be in GNOME 2.2.0 though - if I have to another
> > > release I'll branch from the GNOME_SESSION_2_0_0_1 tag.
> >
> > Just for the record.
> >
> > I don't think adding unmarked strings or adding missing files in
> > POTFILES.in counts as breaking the string freeze. I actually think this
> > should be done ASAP at any time in the release process because the only
> > think it affects is making it possible to localise these strings.
>
> Even in code freeze? Who will make sure that the "fix" doesn't introduce
> new bugs if there is no review required?

I didn't say it shouldn't be reviewed. Just that it should be done as
soon as possible because of the implications.

- not having a fully localisable desktop
- because of this it does block localised docs in a way because you
can't have localised screenshots before you have localised UI.

> > So, it might wreck the status for the people who have 100% there, but
> > this is just a bunch of numbers anyway :-)
> >
> > Having a desktop that is 100% localisable is more important than having
> > 100% in the statuspage IMO.
>
> This wasn't as much about "100% status" as it was about 1) not notifying
> translators and 2) checking in stuff without permission (as both
> release-team and maintainers didn't know about this).

I know. My comment was a bit out of context maybe, but my view still
stands.

> If a fix where additional strings are marked for translation is checked
> in, but translators aren't notified, how can that be a better situation?
> Beats me -- the net result is still untranslated stuff.

Of course we should notify everyone and the change should be reviewed by
the maintainer/release-team before commiting, but I don't think it
affects string freeze, that's all.

Cheers
Kjartan