Re: The first commit on behalf of the Icelandic team

tor 2003-01-23 klockan 23.30 skrev Sammi:
> > I took a look, and it seems that you did it correctly. One thing though;
> > it only contains three translated strings :)
>
> I have done a little bit more work than that :-) but i'm still a little bit
> confused which branch i should be translating

The branches of the modules are mentioned at the bottom of the status
pages, for example at the bottom of
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.1-core/. For the
modules that aren't mentioned at the branch listing at the bottom, use
the HEAD branch.

> and just wanted to commit one po file to the
> repository to show that the Icelandic team is restarted. I have some po
> files that i
> downloaded from the status page (somwhere around 1 december 2002) that i've
> been working on. But since I did not fetch those files via cvs i´m not shure
> where
> they belong (although there is the keyword HEAD in the filename).

If they have the word HEAD in their filename, they were taken from the
HEAD branches of their modules. :)

They should most likely be committed back to HEAD and then also the
appropriate branch (if the module does use a branch now; there have been
quite a few modules that have branched since December).

> So now i'm
> checking out various modules from the gnome-2-2 branch and will be giving
> the translation work a little bit more time.
>
> Maybe i'm getting this concept about HEAD and branches all wrong. Should I
> first
> checkout modules from the HEAD branch, and then start working on other
> branches.

You can start translating the branches (and HEAD for those modules that
don't use a branch) -- this is probably most useful right now. The only
thing is that when you after that add the translation to cvs, add it to
HEAD first, and then the branch.

> Any guidelines regarding a good translation start would be preciated.

The most visible stuff is probably libgnomeui, libgnome, gnome-desktop,
gtk+, glib, gnome-panel, gnome-control-center, nautilus, metacity, yelp,
gedit, gdm2, gnome-mime-data, gnome-vfs, and the rest of the gnome-*
ones. I'd start with those, and then move on to the rest.

> > Anyway, thanks for restarting the Icelandic translations team - we have
> > been without Icelandic translations for a long time.
>
> I'm looking forward of getting the hang of the translation procedures and
> getting the Icelandic language back on the chart again.

Just let us know if you need help with committing. :)