How do I visually debug my own translation

Hi everyone....

Are there any tips'n tricks how to visually debug my own translations.
I'm for example translating for the Icelandic team. And I noticed when I
was translating the poEdit application that if I put the poedit.mo file
in the top of my home directory the program would show my translation
the next time I started poEdit. Is it possible to do this with gnome
application that I am translating, or do I have to do it some other way.
Although I'm the team coordinator for the icelandic team i'm rather new
in the field of mastering translation.

Any tips and tricks would be well preciated :-)

Regards
--
Samúel Jón Gunnarsson
Team Coordinator for the Icelandic