Re: How do I visually debug my own translation

Samúel Jón Gunnarsson <sammi@techattack.nu> writes:

> Are there any tips'n tricks how to visually debug my own translations.
> I'm for example translating for the Icelandic team. And I noticed when I
> was translating the poEdit application that if I put the poedit.mo file
> in the top of my home directory the program would show my translation
> the next time I started poEdit.

I'm surprised that worked.

> Is it possible to do this with gnome application that I am
> translating, or do I have to do it some other way. Although I'm the
> team coordinator for the icelandic team i'm rather new in the field
> of mastering translation.
>
> Any tips and tricks would be well preciated :-)

Usually, you can put the .mo file in
/usr/share/locale/xx/LC_MESSAGES/. That tends to get a little
cumbersome, so I once created a script for this - you can find it in
gnome-i18n/translation-install in the CVS. I don't know how well it
works nowadays, though. I should modify it to parse configure.ac to
discover the package name.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/