Classic German orthography

Hallo everybody,
in 1998 a "reformed" orthography was introduced in German-speaking
countries. These new rules are unloved by many.

Starting with pan, hopefully finding time to process all of GNOME 2
until the 2.4 release, I want to provide files in the classic
spelling. As the changes are comparably small, a simple patch would
in my eyes be the sane solution, for everybody interested to manually
apply before compiling. It would be a smallish file inside po/ called
de-classic.patch. A complete language "fork" would be nonsense, as there
is no such thing as a "classic German locale".

Is this OK to commit or can it introduce any problems in any way? Which
other resource-friendly ways would be there of distributing the files or
patches in a more user-friendly way?

Benjamin