Re: Dictionary to translate (was:Re: Persian translations)

As I have no record of an answer and the matter is still very real for
me...

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 18:41, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 17:01, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> > > I think an electronic dictinary is the best solution.

> > > In the case of Tamil I am not too far from a very good one maintained by
> > > the state university.
> > >
> > > How will the copyrights and licensing affect this?
>
> > It must be freely usable, copiable and distributable, clearly.
>
> GPL or compatible. Correct?

Is there anyone who has experience using common glossaries with other
projects.

The plan is to atleast share a glossary with OOo and KOffice for
Gnome-Office as however mush I like the terms as they are translated or
not the same words will have to be used.
(so  a user can switch between platforms and applications and not feel
strained as many words would be very new to the language)

> > Now, for freely modifiable, it can be argued (if some official endorsement
> > is needed, as is the case in Iran, it won't be fully freely modifiable
> > for example); but the abilit to fully use and spread it without any
> > restraint is necessary to make it useful.
>
> This is not GPL or compatible. Correct?

Maybe a glossary of words do not need considerations for licensing
terms.
If so the job ahead is easily done.
If not some direct advocacy is needed I guess.

> > it would be nicer if public governemental efforts were done from the
> > beginning with the idea of producing free content; it will even means
> > less costs for them.
> True. I like the term free information though.

Ramanan