Re: translating beast (Re: Please translate beast and bse)

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 09:20, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
>
> > We have other options, I'm investigating a setup that lets you store
> > several domains inside the same .po file so you get several .mo from the
> > same .po file. That's a undocumented gettext feature but I hope it help
> > us.
>
> hm. does that allow to split up a set of po files by source files?
> i.e. i could use a single po file if at the time of a package split,
> i'm able to split up all translations like:
>
> --- po file for beast & bse ---
> #: beast-gtk/bstfoo.c:51
> msgid "string in beast"
> msgstr "translated 'string in beast'"
>
> #: beast-gtk/bstfile.c:544
> #: bse/bsebar.c:99
> msgid "string for beast and bse"
> msgstr "translated 'string for beast and bse'"
>
> #: bse/bsezonk:320
> msgid "string in bse"
> msgstr "translated 'string in bse'"
> -------------------------------
>
> becomes two distinct files, each containing only:
>
> --- po file for beast ---
> #: beast-gtk/bstfoo.c:51
> msgid "string in beast"
> msgstr "translated 'string in beast'"
>
> #: beast-gtk/bstfile.c:544
> msgid "string for beast and bse"
> msgstr "translated 'string for beast and bse'"
> -------------------------
>
> and
>
> --- po file for bse ---
> #: bse/bsebar.c:99
> msgid "string for beast and bse"
> msgstr "translated 'string for beast and bse'"
>
> #: bse/bsezonk:320
> msgid "string in bse"
> msgstr "translated 'string in bse'"
> ------------------------
>
> that is, i need to be able to split the translation together
> with the sources they apply to.

You should be able to do that in any case, Tim. Removing or adding
arbitrary msgid/msgstr combinations (with their comments) to a PO file
is pretty harmless (there is nothing in the file format that say "and
now we have 27 messages following this line" or anything like that). So
splitting up one PO file into several when you do the module split
should be just a matter of a sed script and adding the PO-file header to
each file.

Or am I completely misunderstanding your goal here?

Cheers,
Malcolm