Re: non-utf8 po files breaking the build

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 11:24:16PM +0100, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> søn, 2002-11-24 kl. 21:12 skrev Keld Jørn Simonsen:

> > > I think this would be mostly ok, but perhaps inverse matching on a full
> > > "charset=UTF-8" would be more failsafe than just inverse matching on an
> > > initial U in the charset.
> >
> > I don't think you should do it, it would create some burdens for
> > translators that are unnecesary.
> >

> There are lots of things that are unneccesary in the world :-)
>
> I think the burden that is placed on the maintainers and bug managers
> outweighs the burden placed on the translators in this case. If we could
> manage to get it set up so that the files are converted automatically on
> checkin there's absolutely no burden placed on the translators at all.

Maybe, byt then please explain what the burdens are for those, I am
probably not fully aware of those.

I think if we could make both checkin and *checkout* automatic in the
preferred charset, then I see no problems, as you also say.

> Not having all po-files in UTF-8 is causing real problems every week.
> Even it is because the tools are bad at handling every corner case when
> dealing with all kinds of different encodings I think it's easier to
> just say "Translations shall be in UTF-8" than to fix all bugs in the
> tools. I switched to UTF-8 myself a long time ago and I can't really say
> that it has caused any problems for me...

I am currently running mandrake 8.2, what are you running?
Our requirements are probably much the same.

Kind regards
keld