non-utf8 po files breaking the build

Hi

We've reached a point where po files which are not in UTF-8  and the
inability of intltool to properly handle them  break the GNOME 2.1
build.

What happens is that intltool merges some non UTF-8 strings in gconf
schemas files which have to be proper utf to be accepted by gconftool.

I personally think that its time we move all the non-utf translations to
UTF-8. Unless someone is ready to fix the underlying issues.

And yes, intltool still has problem with proper utf-8 strings in xml
files (see bug 98988) but at least they dont break the build.

Regards
Yanko