Re: I18N guide (was Re: Adding I18N support to ATK)

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 07:58:01PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
[...]
> Coincidentally, I've started to write some i18n/l10n guidelines for
> developers. It's by no means finished though, and my focus was on common
> problems and pitfalls and hints for efficient translation, and not the
> technical implementation. You can find the document at
> http://www.menthos.com/l10n/developer/. Maybe you want to include some
> of that, or maybe we should keep it separate. I don't know. I'll try to
> write up the missing pieces soon.

Hmm. Reading through your document, I realise there are some bits I
forgot to include in mine that are of use to developers (e.g. the "don't
translate unnecessary markup" stuff, which I remembered initially, but
then forgot to include).

Most of the stuff in your document is really important to get across. I
guess we need to work out whether to make one  big document combining
your stuff and mine, or just ditch the "tips and tricks" section from my
document and put all of that stuff ("best practice for making programs
internationalisable") into your document.

My gut feeling is to keep them separate, but I'm sick today, so thinking
just makes my head hurt.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.