Re: Gnome Internationalization: A proposal

On čet, 2002-03-21 at 18:38, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Thaweesak Taekratok wrote:
>
> > poll later.  Also, to improve consistency, you need to
> > create a databse for common terminology and translated
> > word.  Users who are not so sure how to translate or
> > spell a particular word could search to see if someone
> > alread define it.
>
> Furthermore it would be very useful to have some fuzzy logic, phonetic
> matching and "semantic close distance matching" (surely there is a more
> common name for this). If there's any interest I'd find some more info
> about these sorts of techniques...

I was working on a project similar like that, ... i don' know much about
use of fuzzy logic in lingustics, however i worked a lot on something
else - proper formating of the output to be useful out of the box. So
few translations are proposed and translator should just choose the
apropriate one, not needing to change it (capital letters, acronyms,
separators and stuff like that are handled quite nice)

check out http://www.lugos.si/~minmax

under web interface, feed it with a fresh non-translated pot file
(pot file that wasnt translated to slovenian yet) to see
what it produces... at the end of output there is a statistics... it
ussualy pre-translates 15-40% of the pot file...

It has a database for slovenian language currently loaded (60k
translated messages from both KDE and GNOME)

click smart it and wait a few minutes (it is quite slow)

Have a nice day
Andraž Tori

This is a digitally signed message part