Re: Gnome Internationalization: A proposal

Hi,

pressed the correct reply key this time...

Filipe Maia wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:11:15 +0100
> Gudmund Areskoug <fta@algonet.se> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thaweesak Taekratok wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been planning to do the same with KDE
> > > translation for Thai language.  I just don't have time
> > > to do it yet.  I think you can choose either C or php
> > > with mysql database.  The key issue is how you want
> > > people to access those translate strings.  If someone
> > > check out that string, do you want to lock that string
> > > from others to translate or you would allow to others
> > > to translate the same string then compare or using
> > > poll later.  Also, to improve consistency, you need to
> > > create a databse for common terminology and translated
> > > word.  Users who are not so sure how to translate or
> > > spell a particular word could search to see if someone
> > > alread define it.
> >
> > whatever you do, I think it's advisable to include not only what
> > package, but also the usage context (and possibly precedence
> > position in a hierarchy) for such common terminology. It may seem
> > like a hassle in the beginning, but it certainly pays off as you go.
>
> The only thing i can do is to include all the info from the pot files.

yes, and then provide space for the translator or language
maintainer to add the extra info in a simple manner, keeping info
that can be read and or processed by a program separate from info
that's for humans only.

E. g.:
msgid "_Yes"
msgstr "_Ja"
package: gshortcuts
QA status: unconfirmed
hotkey hierarchy level: 2
msgid hotkey: Alt+Y
msgstr hotkey: Alt+J
context notes: global shortcut and keyboard macro program, this is
the shortcut for confirming actions within the program

(yes, it's an ugly invented example, but I hope the point gets
through)

Just about all but the context notes could be made use of by various
software.

Hierarchy levels for the package or for message strings, that
indicates whether they are expected to be used outside the
program/apparent context (globally in Gnome or within an integrated
e. g. office environemt, or in case of a central language resource
file for a whole environment) could also be possible.

> > Don't forget to include as much hotkey conflict handling as possible
> > while you're at it, this is your chance!
>
> I don't think it's possible to handle hotkey conflict only using the .pot files.
> Do u have any idea in mind?

Yes, charting the hotkeys, starting with the ones used as "system
standard" (global). Unfortunately, like you say, the .pot files
alone don't tell enough about how the characters designated as
hotkeys are linked (Alt+, Ctrl+, ...?). But that shouldn't be
impossible to find out and map, within and across apps (internally
and vertically to avoid conflicts, horizontally to improve
consistency).

I guess such a chart could be handy for programmers too, sometimes.

BR,
Gudmund