Re: Gnome Internationalization: A proposal

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Filipe Maia wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2002 14:33:09 -0600
> Edward Mbugua Kamau <emkamau@afrocenter.com> wrote:
>
> > I have been looking at the La Espiral site -
> > http://www.laespiral.org/ddts/  It seems that the DDTS system there is
> > very suitable, with only minor adjustments. The main issue then would be
> > how to populate the DDTS  database with the .po strings as Carlos Marin
> > suggests below. I'm copying this to the contact address given for
> > comments etc on the La Espiral site. I need to investigate whether these
> > DDTS scripts can be used elsewhere (perhaps sourceforge) and how to
> > extract the .po strings into the database.
> >
> How do u want me to create the database?
> I was thinking in creating a main table with a row for each package each package with an unique ID, and 1 aditional table with all the translated strings from all the languages for package. Each row would have the package unique ID and another unique ID inside that language so we can know which translation corresponds to which original string.
> What do u think?

Did you consider how the database will be used? The most important part is
offline translation. This means you need to handle most of the problems
any CVS-like system have. Most important, you will need a specialized
client (at least web UI) to handle these issues.

I don't believe you can use such a system for storing translation for each
message online.

My key point is that this will be kind of hard work to get it done right.
(anyway, I will be happy to implement a KBabel dictionary module to
support this).

Stanislav