Re: The use of positional arguments in translations

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 05:02:47PM +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Jody Goldberg <jody@gnome.org> writes:
>
> > As far as I can tell glib will not be fixing it any time soon.
> > glib2 uses libc for this when it can, but on platforms without the
> > requisite functions it falls back on its own implementation, which
> > does not handle them correctly.
>
> Just disable NLS on those platforms all together; most probably, these
> are expert systems where i18n/l10n isn't required.
>
> Or file bug reports against those systems--I don't see the point why
> proper systems should suffer because ot that.

Nothing needs to suffer.  The maintainers need to ensure that any
string that uses positional arguments in one of its translations
does not get fed into g_strdup_printf.  This is not insurmountable.
I am not thrilled with it, but it is simple enough that it should be
done.  We can not afford to be prima donas and just ignore those
platforms.