xscreensaver translations

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Damien Donlon wrote:
> We were going to do gnome-i18n/extra-po/xscreensaver on this round
> too but the wordcounts are very high. Is this because folks haven't moved
> their translations out of xscreensaver/po and into gnome-i18n yet?

Possibly. There are a lot of po files that haven't been moved; from a
quick look it seems to be ca, de, fi, fr, hu, it, pl, pt_BR, ru, uk, and
wa. Their maintainers haven't moved these files yet.

But, defending those translators, I don't see why all po files weren't
moved in the first place -- relying on translation maintainers to move
their translations seems to be a recipe for disaster, since we all know
that it can be difficult at times to reach the responsible persons.

Had all po files been moved at once, the old ones in the xscreensaver
module could simply have been removed at the same time. That would also be
more effective against people accidentally committing translation updates
and new translations there in the xscreensaver module instead of the
proper place in gnome-i18n/extra-po.

So what was the rationale behind not moving all the po files? I'm curious
since I want to do this right away, and nuke the ones in the xscreensaver
module, if there was no particular reason for keeping them there.