Re: UTF-8

Sander Vesik <Sander.Vesik@Sun.COM> writes:

> Also - doesn't the use of UTF-8 avoid all potential gotchas around cases
> where a single traditional 8 bit encoding might not suffice? A label
> containing the greek letter 'Pi' springs to my mind as one example.

Honestly this does not happen that often -- but where UTF-8 is a win,
no need to argue, translators will try to accomodate, of course.

> Speaking as somebody more from the building and packaging side than
> developing or translating for a moment - lets *PLEASE* *PLEASE*
> standradise on one format (utf-8) that will just work, not have hiden or
> suprising gotchas, not require any knowledge about which systems it will /
> will not run on and so worth. gnome already is a pretty complex project to
> port / bundle - lets not make it even more complex.

There is some truth about your statement :)  Don't take me wrong: I'm
all for UTF-8 but I cannot stand it if people tell there is no other
technical solution to achieve the goal.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o