Re: UTF-8 in GNOME2 po files

Kaixo!

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:50:08PM +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> You can use vim to edit utf-8 files, but not in gnome-terminal:

gnome-terminal works in utf-8 too; but I agree it is quite undocumented;
and not as easy to use as with xterm (where the utf-8 support is automatic
if the locale is utf-8 too).

Note also that xterm has a cut and paste bug (at least the version I have),
it wrongly converts to utf-8: the bytes composing a utf-8 char are each one
of them converted to utf-8 as if they were latin1 chars.

> I guess this needs a recent version of vim, but it works quite well for
> me. I couldn't use unicode fonts in gnome-terminal, dunno why.

You have to set the terminal to utf-8; for that you must echo some value,
echo -e '\033@8'

or something like that (don't remember the exact value right now)