Re: Please replace (C) with © in copyrightnotices

tor 2002-12-12 klockan 14.09 skrev Andras Timar:
> Unfortunately iso-8859-2 does not have this symbol. I'm still using
> iso-8859-2 encoding for Hungarian po files in Emacs po-mode, because
> utf-8 does not work out-of-the-box on Red Hat 8.0 and emacs-21.2-18.

I would guess that is mostly an Emacs problem.

> This means I have to msgconv from utf-8 to iso-8859-2 before editing the
> file and from iso-8859-2 to utf-8 before commiting to the CVS. This way
> it would be too much work to replace the (C)'s in the Hungarian PO's.
> However, I'm all for the Total UTF-8 Solution. :-)
>
> Can someone please give me a hint (webpage, FAQ, Howto), how to use
> Emacs and po-mode with utf-8 (on Red Hat 8.0)?

I can edit UTF-8 files with the emacs included in Red Hat 8.0. What I
haven't been able to figure out though is to how to tell emacs that the
file I'm editing should be saved as UTF-8 if the file is "fresh from
pot" and doesn't include any national, non-ASCII characters yet (it then
saves it as iso-8859-1 which is the minimum character set that includes
these characters). What I do then is that I just keep on editing it that
way, and msgconv it to UTF-8 later. After that, the next time I open it,
it treats and saves it as UTF-8.

So what I would try in your position is starting to edit it so that it
includes some national characters, msgconv it to UTF-8, and edit it
again to see if it still keeps it as UTF-8. If that's so, then you can
keep editing it in UTF-8 and also include ©:s and so on. That's just my
guess, perhaps there are more severe problems.