Re: reporting problem on original strings

ons 2002-08-07 klockan 16.24 skrev Gustavo Noronha Silva:
> While translating gdm2, I found this:
>
> [~/gnome/cvs/gdm2]
> [kov]@[beterraba] $ rgrep 'turing off' *
> daemon/gdm.c:       gdm_info (_("%s: Root cannot be autologged in, turing off
> automatic login"), "gdm_config_parse");
> daemon/gdm.c:       gdm_info (_("%s: Root cannot be autologged in, turing off
> timed login"), "gdm_config_parse");
>
> I have write access to CVS, but I know we're on string freeze...

Yes, we are in a string freeze. Please log a bug in bugzilla instead.

> I would
> think it is okay for me to just go and fix the problem on gdm.c and commit
> the change, as it is not a substantial fix, and then report the freeze
> "breakage" (well, people would only need to emacs $lang.po& and press tab
> on the new 'fuzzy' entry, so it's not that bad). Is it ok?

I don't think so. We have freezes for a reason, and one of the reasons
behind and benefits of a string freeze is that we don't have a lot of
incomplete translations in the release simply because someone went in
and "fixed" strings in the source just some days or the day before the
release.

Advertizing the changes to translators it is not an excuse for breaking
the freeze, translators should be able to not read their mail every day
and still be confident in having a complete translation in the upcoming
release. And we are *so* near 2.0.1 now it's not even funny.

What you should do is file a bug about this typo in bugzilla, and if you
think this is important enough to break the string freeze, then let
release-team@gnome.org know about this bugzilla bug. DO NOT commit until
you have approval from the release team to go ahead and fix it.