re: difficulties with Gnome Translation

On 28 Apr 2002, Christian Rose wrote:

> sön 2002-04-28 klockan 01.23 skrev Carlos Perelló Marín:
> [...]
> > I prefer all modules in one page. It's more easy to look the
> > translations status but you are right, we should have a feature that
> > lets us see what things are at gnome core and which others are
> > "optional".
>
> I think this is a crucial feature. It seems many translators (including
> me) want to know what should be translated for the official Gnome 2.0
> relase so we know what should be prioritized etc. This is currently
> impossible with the current unstable status report.

Agreed.

> That said, instead of a seperate report as per my suggestion, this could
> perhaps be solved by grouping the core modules alphabetically in the
> unstable page in a top table, and after that having the extra ones in a
> seperate table below that, so that there are two tables in each page,
> and still only one unstable page. After all, less report pages means
> less pages to refresh each day. :-)
>
> Christian

And there are other viable reasons to split pages.
One is usability: a gigantic page is really unconvenient to search for
the place you want. Another reason is the mere HTML size -- it's already
something like 270K in size. Adding extra thing can double it.
I'm afraid more buggy browsers may bomb on this :)

--
Abel Cheung
GPG Key: (0xC67186FF) http://deaddog.org/gpg.asc