Re: Some questions about GTP -- status page -- modules -- UTF-8 --locale name change

Den søn, 2001-09-16 kl. 13:50 skrev R.I.P. Deaddog:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Wang Jian wrote:
>
> > 1. The GTP status page,
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/status.shtml
> > just lists some of gnome applications and libraries, some key
> > applications, such as galeon, are not listed. This makes no good.
> > Does GNOME includes these unlisted applications? If it does, a status
> > page like that will left some applications untranslated for some
> > languages.
> >
> > I have to guess what is in GNOME, yeah, GUESS! I have to find ghex is
> > in GNOME one day, and find gnome-control-center(it has another story)
> > another day. This is NOT efficient! _Please_ put all translatable
> > modules into status page!
>
> You can have a look at:
>
>     http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/apps/status.shtml
>
> Though this page doesn't mention all gnome software in CVS, and
> I can find *NO* link to this page inside gnome website. (It is not updated
> since almost a month ago too.)

The page should be linked from http://www.gnome.org/i18n - and I've just
today found time to get things set up on the main GNOME server to run
the script from there. When this has been found working I'll add the
script to my crontab and we'll be set for the future. Sorry that this
has taken some time. Carlos has been working on the scripts lately and
has made huge improvements to them. Please check out

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/status.shtml
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/release/status.shtml

These pages should give you an impression of how things are going to be.

> There is difference between Release Status page and status page -- one
> is roughly for gnome 1.4 and another for to-be-gnome-2.0. You can have a
> look at all 3 pages to get a better idea how's the progress of
> translation.

Any comments on how to organize the pages in a better way is welcome.
For now there are only the above mentioned pages.

> > 3. UTF-8
> >
> > I have noticed that zh_TW.Big5 team is moving on to UTF-8, and locale
> > name changed to zh_TW instead of zh_TW.Big5. But I see no information
> > available in gnome-i18n archive for this transition.
> >
> > Is it correct time to move to UTF-8 ?
>
> Yes, I'm working on moving zh_TW.Big5 to zh_TW. But this is not reflected
> in status pages.
>
> You can have a look at /gnome-i18n/status/ inside gnome CVS to get a
> better idea how status pages are generated. However, several version of
> status generation scripts are available, and I can't tell who works on
> it and which set of scripts are used. ;)
>
> Actually it's not prime time to move complete to UTF-8 yet. What I did
> is to move gnome-2 translations to UTF-8 (in addition to a few gnome 1
> translation files).
>

> > 4. Locale name for zh_CN is changed.
> >
> > zh_CN team has decided to move to LC_ALL=zh_CN instead of
> > LC_ALL=zh_CN.GB2312, because we can use GBK(a superset of GB2312)
> > and will move to UTF-8. GB2312 is no longer valid presentation.
> >
> > And GTP status page should be changed to reflect this transition.
>
> Who used to generate those GTP status pages? Anybody knows?
>

> > PS: look at http://i18n.linux.net.cn/gnome/status.php, even if you
> > can't understand the Chinese character there, you know what it means.
> > The status page includes many translatable modules that GTP status
> > page doesn't include.
>
> As I have said before, you can go to
>     http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/apps/status.shtml
> But I'm not saying your pages have no value. The one I mentioned is
> generated at 20/8. *sigh*

This will change from now on. As I said - sorry for the delay, but
sometimes people's priorities in a volunteer based project doesn't
always fit with everyone's needs. Hope we will fix this issue once and
for all now so we can concentrate on the real work.

Thanks for your patience

Cheers
Kjartan Maraas