From: Keld Jørn Simonsen
Sent: terça-feira, 30 de outubro de 2001 17:51
To: Karl Eichwalder
Cc: Keld Jørn Simonsen; Marcel Telka; Antonio Espeschit; gnome-i18n@gnome.org
Subject: Re: Gnome is off in Brazil

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 07:25:07PM +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to build from eachothers translations?
> > So that in Brazil you can take the Portugal translation
> > and change it a little, and then it can be used in Brazil?
> > And vice versa?
>
> You can use the LANGUAGE variable to use a cascading message catalog
> setup; those are common:
>
>     LANGUAGE=gl_ES:es_ES:pt_PT
>     LANGUAGE=sk_SK:cs_CZ          # or vice versa
>
> > I do that regulary for Danish with Norwegian bookmål .po files.
> > And with some success:-) Danish is in the top in both
> > stable, extra and unstable parts of Gnome.
>
> Try
>
>     LANGUAGE=da_DK:nb_NO
>
> No need to mix Norwegian bookmål texts into 'da' files ;)

Yes, it is a good feature.

However, we really want the programs in Danish, not in
Norwegian Bokmål. And there are a lot of differences.

My point is that it is usually a lot easier (thus more productive,
and you can translate more overall) to translate from a language
that is close to your own, instead of from English.

Kind regards
keld