Translation memories (was Re: Gnome is off in Brazil)

Duarte Loreto wrote:
> Anyway, I'm interested in knowing how I can merge the pot files (using
> msgmerge?). I would like to get my stable translations and use them to
> update the gnome2.0 branch (and then tweak the updates, as some pot files
> are slightly different).

This is where a translation meory is handy. A translation memory is a
collection of old translations that you can use for new translations. I
myself use Karl Eichwalder's "Po-Toys"
(http://www.suse.de/~ke/po-toys/).

They are simple to use. To create a translation memory (translation
database) with all your existing "pt" translations (file1.pt.po,
file2.pt.po, ...):

  po-make-memory.sh -ca -l pt file1.pt.po file2.pt.po ...

This will create a file "memory.pt.po" with all your existing
translations from the po files you entered. When I use it I usually add
all po files, so that I get a big memory.
Then, when you want to start a new translation from a pot file
(file.pot), only do this:

  po-initialize.sh memory.pt.po file.pot pt.po

Then it will create a pt.po with all the exact matches already
translated, and fuzzy matches. You still have to inspect the file and
translate the rest, but having a memory and using it on new translations
saves time.

I believe something like this was what you wanted. It's easier than
using msgmerge and friends manually.