Re: Gnome is off in Brazil

Kaixo!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:58:43PM -0200, Antonio Espeschit wrote:
> well, this is the solution I found. On Redhat login, I have selected
> "English" language when
> I use Gnome and "Portuguese" language when I use KDE. Because
> "portuguese language" on Gnome is
> not Portuguese from Brazil.

"Portuguese language" should never be Brazilian portuguese (pt_BR) but
just "pt". If KDE actually labels "Portuguese" the Brazilian Portuguese,
then that is imho a bug that should be reported.

Now, Gnome does have, as well as KDE, translations for *both* "Portuguese"
and "Brazilian Portuguese". You simply have to select the right one you want;
but they both exists; it is not a Gnome problem.
It may be a distribution problem in case pt_BR aren't included (I doubt it
would be the case however), or it may be a configuration error if you compile
and install it yourself (look at the "LINGUAS" variable, you must either
have it undefined (all existing languages are installed) or define it to what
you actually want ("pt_BR" and *not* "pt").
Or it may be that the version of gdm you are using doesn't list Brazilian
Portuguese (however recent versions do; at least a quick look on Gnome CVS
shows me that it is the case).

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga