gnome i18n problem

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Antonio Espeschit wrote:

> well, this is the solution I found. On Redhat login, I have selected
> "English" language when
> I use Gnome and "Portuguese" language when I use KDE. Because
> "portuguese language" on Gnome is
> not Portuguese from Brazil.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio Espeschit

Hi all,

the problem Antonio was trying to point out is a general
problem in Gnome (I dont know if it's in gnome-libs or other
place), which had alredy been put here in the list, but I
dont know if the developers received any request to solve
it... I'm CCing to the Gnome 1.4 list.

The problem is that you may set your variables (LANG,
LC_ALL, LANGUAGE, WHAT-EVER) to pt_BR , but you always
get a pt translation. When you enter Kde, for instance,
everything is in pt_BR. But when you log in to GNOME, even
the Kde menus in the GNOME menu are in pt!

So, it would be great if the old troll ended up in having
this problem fixed (probably in gnome-libs).

Thank you,

Francisco.

PS: If anybody in Gnome-1.4-list answer, please CC to me, I'm
not in that list.