Re: Gnome is off in Brazil
- From: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>
- To: Karl Eichwalder <keichwa gmx net>
- Cc: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>,Marcel Telka <marcel telka sk>,Antonio Espeschit <espeschit msn com>, gnome-i18n gnome org
- Subject: Re: Gnome is off in Brazil
- Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:12:42 +0100
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 07:25:07PM +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > Is it possible to build from eachothers translations?
> > So that in Brazil you can take the Portugal translation
> > and change it a little, and then it can be used in Brazil?
> > And vice versa?
> You can use the LANGUAGE variable to use a cascading message catalog
> setup; those are common:
> LANGUAGE=sk_SK:cs_CZ # or vice versa
> > I do that regulary for Danish with Norwegian bookmål .po files.
> > And with some success:-) Danish is in the top in both
> > stable, extra and unstable parts of Gnome.
> No need to mix Norwegian bookmål texts into 'da' files ;)
Yes, it is a good feature.
However, we really want the programs in Danish, not in
Norwegian Bokmål. And there are a lot of differences.
My point is that it is usually a lot easier (thus more productive,
and you can translate more overall) to translate from a language
that is close to your own, instead of from English.
] [Thread Prev