Re: Adding a code to iconv - help...

Kaixo!

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 04:37:58PM -0500, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:

> I would like to add a couple of more codes to the iconv application that is
> used by many to translate between various language encodings. I have a
> couple of questions:
>
> 1. Does GNOME use this to deduce portability of an encoding?

No, it is not iconv (part of the GNU libc) that issue those warning messages;
but gettext.
If you want to silent them, you need to patch gettext (I also think last
versions of gettext recognize a shell variable to modulate that behaviour too)

> 2. I would like to include 2 popular encoding schemes used in Tamil for

GNU libc knows about UTF-8.
Adding TSCII support would need a converter TSCII <-> UCS4 to be included;
it is more complex to do than other encodings (that may be the reason why
it isn't done yet).
There is a similar converter used in pango (http://www.pango.org) in order
to allow use of TSCII encoded fonts to display Tamil; it may be a good
starting point. There is also a page describing the conversion
somewhere on http://www.tamil.net/

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga