Adding a code to iconv - help...

Hi:

I would like to add a couple of more codes to the iconv application that is
used by many to translate between various language encodings. I have a
couple of questions:

1. Does GNOME use this to deduce portability of an encoding?

2. I would like to include 2 popular encoding schemes used in Tamil for
this. How do I go about this? Who is the principle maintainer for this? (I
searched the web but could not find any info.)

3. Is this the right news group for asking this question?

Thanks.

-Dinesh