Re: How to set the CHARSET

Kaixo!

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 06:19:21AM +0200, Ramon Casha wrote:
> I have just finished setting up the basic support for the Maltese language
> for KDE, and would like to do the same for Gnome. This involves using a
> specific keyboard map (which I already have created both for xmodmap and
> xkb), and convincing Gnome to accept the ISO-8859-3 (ISO Latin 3) charset.

You need three things:

- have a libc locale that uses the iso-8859-3 charset (it seems there is no
  Maltese locale in GNU libc, you can use the Esperanto one in the meantime)
- have X11 understand what your locale is and call the proper XLC_LOCALE file
  (you would probably need to add this lines to
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locales.alias:

mt:		mt_MT.ISO8859-3
mt_MT:		mt_MT.ISO8859-3

and  in locales.dir:

iso8859-3/XLC_LOCALE: mt_MT.ISO8859-3

and in compose.dir:

iso8859-3/Compose: mt_MT.ISO8859-3

- and last, you need a file /etc/gtk/gtkrc.mt with a proper fontset (you
  can copy the gtkrc.eo (esperanto))

For that last point, I would like to do a small patch to current gtk
so it will look for a gtkrc.charset too; that would avoid the need to
create tons of gtkrc.* files for each new language.

A possible workaround could be to set:

LANG=eo
LANGUAGE=mt

(that supposing that Esperanto works correctly in your system)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975