Re: Locale problems with Mandrake 8.0

Kaixo!

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:31:15AM -0500, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> I installed the recent version of Mandrake 8.0 but I am unable to view any
> of my translations. Has anyone had any problems with this version?
>
> Maybe to clarify, can some one outline how I go about setting the locale so
> that Gnome can be run under that locale. I use bash and have set the LANG,
> LC_ALL, LANGUAGE env. variables.

In Linux-Mandrake the best way to define the locale to use is to put
it on /etc/sysconfig/i18n (system wide setting) or $HOME/.i18n (user specific).

The format is very simple:

LANG=xx
LANGUAGE=xx:yy

etc.

I don't know the exact order in calling the various profile and bashrc
scripts, so, depending on where you define your variables, their value
may be overriden by the values taken from /etc/sysconfig/i18n (that may be
the reason of a similar problem reported on Red Hat 7.1); so, the easiest
and cleaner way is to define it in the place it should be:
/etc/sysconfig/i18n for system wide (also in Red Hat), or $HOME/.i18n
(I don't know if Red Hat recognizes a $HOME/.i18n different of the
system wide one; I hope it is adopted however, the idea is nice and the
implementation very simple: a check of $HOME/.i18n, if it exist process it,
if not, process /etc/sysconfig/i18n)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga