How to set the CHARSET

I have just finished setting up the basic support for the Maltese language
for KDE, and would like to do the same for Gnome. This involves using a
specific keyboard map (which I already have created both for xmodmap and
xkb), and convincing Gnome to accept the ISO-8859-3 (ISO Latin 3) charset.

It's this last bit that has me stumped. Gnome applications seems set to use
ISO-8859-1 and I can't find any settings anywhere to tell it to use
ISO-8859-3. So for example, although I can switch the keyboard, the special
characters in the Maltese language don't work at all (they work under KDE, so
the keyboard file is ok). I can't start working on the locale stuff until I
can use the keyboard.

In the Gnome-terminal I can set it up to display fonts correctly, but it
still doesn't accept the 'special' characters from the keyboard.

I'm using the version of Gnome that comes with RH7.1.

Ramon Casha