Re: How to set locale??

Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> OK. So I looked at all the responses (thanks a lot :) and set the LANG,
> LANGUAGE, and LC_ALL variables in the following files (this time on a RedHAt
> 7.1 installation):
>    .bashrc
>    .bash_profile
>    .profile
>    .gnomerc
>    .xinitrc
>
> The last one (.xinitrc) would not start my X server. When I deleted it it
> started. The others, well, the X server started, but the LANG and only the
> LANG variable got reset to en_US.

Strange. It works here. This is what I have in my .bashrc (RH 7.1):

export LANG=sv_SE
export LANGUAGE=sv_SE
export LC_ALL=sv_SE

I haven't modified any other files (maybe that is your problem?)

> But then something else happened:
>
> I did not install any of the .po files yet.

You don't need to "install" po files. You can think of them as message
"source code".

> i.e. no .mo files for the messages.

The .mo (and .gmo) files need to be installed, and in the correct
directory, for translations to work. These files are the "compiled"
message code.

> But when I started GEdit, it gave me a segmentation fault. When I
> reset LC_ALL and LANGUAGE back to en_US, the application booted without any
> problems. I thought, if there was no translation for a particular file, the
> application simply uses English (if no other choice is specified) but does
> not crash.
>
> Anyway, I still have not been able to get the LANG to register. Is RH7.1. a
> stable platform to play around with yet?

Yes, of course it is.

> What version of Gnome does RH7.1 use?

Gnome 1.2. But you should get Ximian GNOME (http://www.ximian.com/)
anyway. ;-)