Re: How to organize a translation team?

Īn 20 Jul 2001 21:46:57 +0300 Alexander Shopov a scris:
> Hi guys,
Hey Alexander and welcome! I'm near you (Romania), so as
good neighbour I'll  reply first to this :)

> I am member of The Gnome-BG project - we try to translate Gnome in
> Bulgarian. We have some problems with the organization. There are quite
> a few volunteers, but can you give me some suggestions how to organize
> them?
Have a homepage and mailing list (can be hosted sourceforge)
the homepage should be simple, just saying what you intend to do,
how to setup bulgarian keyboard map and fonts (if they don't work
out-of-the-box), a link to the mailing list :-) (see
gnomero.sourceforge.net)

Another project should be started later, like we did here in ro,
about traslating, common for all GNU/Linux (same dictionary to be
used in gnome/kde/...), same keyb mapping etc.

> There are people that are translating but are working in isolation.
I've made a web application (tmanager) which kept ppl from translating
the same thing twice (used php / postgrsql), very simple but useful,
for all languages. www.lug.ro is down now, if anybody can host it let me
know.

> Many
> people want to produce rpms or debs specifically with the Bulgarian
> translation. My opinion is that we must commit our translations to the
> Gnome project first and wait for the next releases when our translations
> will be already included in the packages.
yes, you're right. Better spend time with translation thank making rpms.

> Also - as not every translator will have a CVS write access to the Gnome
> tree (this is far from necessary) how do we best commit the
> translations?
the project coordonator should have write access, the translations are
emailed to him.

Looking forward for a bulgarian gnome,
Marius Andreiana
--
You don't have to go to jail for helping your neighbour
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/