Need help ... out of options ...RH7.1

Hi folks:

OK. I have posted this message before on this news group, and tried the
suggestions. So I figure it must be different problem than what I think it
is. Here is the issue:

I am running RH7.1 with the latest Ximian Gnome distribution. I guess that
would be Gnome 1.4.1 (or something close).

I set the ~./.i18n file variables thus:

LANG="ta"
LANGUAGE="ta"

But I cannot see any messages. I even changes the LAN and LANGUAGE variables
to "no", to "ru" but to no avail.

>From my previous posting, Christian Rose (or someone else) was doing the
same (RH7.1 and Ximian) and did not have any problems like mine. So I it my
be that I am translating the wrong version of files for version 1.4. I have
been downloading the source CVS files (usually another translated file like
the "sv" version ot "tr" version - i can't find the original English
version). I just use the cvs command and get the file. But I am not sure if
this is the problem because with version RH7.0 and Ximian my translations
work.

Can anyone on this list can shed some light on this. I am all out.

Thanks.

-D