Re: A simple script to manage GnomeGlossary.gnumeric

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Christian Rose wrote:

> However, I have some comments:
> Could the script be changed to *not* use an additional module like
> XML::Twig? That would make it really portable and even more useful.
> XML::Twig on my system required XML::Parser, and XML::Parser required
> expat, and then I lost my patience and gave up.

I think it is possible to do away with XML::Twig, however we will be using
a lot in functionality and especially in what new features to implement.
XML::Twig understands XML and it can easily extract/put back cells of
data. The latter will be quite useful when making a big nice .gnumeric
file with all languages included.

Indeed XML::Twig needs
	- XML::Parser
	- expat
but they do not take too much time to install.

Btw, I noticed that SourceForge has a version of Twig installed. Thus,
with a SourceForge account, you can connect (by SSH) to the shell account
and run the script from there.

> xml-i18n-tools is fairly self-contained, maybe one could have a look
> there how thwy solved xml extraction. Also, I think this script should
> be merged in the future with xml-i18n-tools - that would simply rock. A
> one-stop resource that can also be used for managing glossaries!

Indeed the xml-i18n-tools manage to parse the xml files without using
additional Perl modules. Perhaps Kenneth (the author) could have a look at
GnomeGlossary.gnumeric and estimate how much work it would be to do it
without the non-standard modules.

With those XML:: perl modules it is just too easy to parse XML files.

simos

p.s.
IMPORTANT

I do not know if other translators find it usefull to have local comments
for the glossary translations. I personally find it good to have.
The way to solve it could be by adding a second comment line to the
english term description. For example:

===
#. This is the original description of the term, blah blah.
#. Esto es en espanol.
msgid "Close"
msgstr "Cerrar"
===

In the future, it will make it easy to merge again into a .gnumeric file.