Re: The translator credits

Chema Celorio <chema celorio com> writes:

> >     Language-Team: German <de li org>
>
> Why doesn't it solve the problem ?

There's more than one reason (not all apply for all programs, though).

 Often it isn't wanted to expose personal email addresses (cf. gnumeric
or gnome-about).

. Translators come and translators go.  Mailinglist addresses are more
stable (hopefully).  de li org is "open", luckily; I hope,
gnome-de gnome org is open, too.

. It isn't possible to cut'n'paste the address.

> You open the about dialog box and you get :
>
> Gedit Tranlated by :
>
> Spanish  Joe Fox <joe fox com>
> German   Kirk A  <kirk a com>

> In a scrooled window. See "About Gnome".

It isn't that easy to read scrolling texts.  Often, more than one
translator worked on a translation:

gnumeric/po/de.po:
# Karl Eichwalder <ke suse de>, 1999, 2000.
# Matthias Warkus <mawa iname com>, 1999, 2000.
# Karsten Weiss <karsten addx au s shuttle de>, 1999.
# Ralf Baechle <ralf gnu org>, 1999.

ggv/po/de.po:
# Benedikt Roth <Benedikt Roth gmx net>, 2000.
# Christian Meyer <linux chrisime de>, 2000.
# Karl Eichwalder <ke suse de>, 1999, 2000.
# Matthias Warkus <mawa iname com>, 1999.

Adding all translators of all languages would result in a lengthy list
-- impressive, but not that useful ;)

--
work : ke suse de                          |          ------    ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |         ------   _-\_<,