Re: open translations database

Thu, 3 Feb 2000 Kenneth Christiansen

> I will ask Martin (of Gnome fame) to create a
> gnome-i18n-tools@gnome.org list.

Any update?.   I assume, people are interested in joining the
alias, to discuss "How best to handle the i18n process"?.

> Also, I will suggest an irc meeting on irc.gnome.org sometime
> after the weekend.

This is turning out to be more difficult than originally
anticipated because of time zones.  Can I purpose we start by
creating a list of topics for discussions, via e-mail. Then, we
can review the list inserting topics for discussion in order of
priority.  Priority, based on short-term possible achievement,
moving to longer term developments?.

Here is Kenneth's list of topics, please send him additional
items for discussion.

> - What apart from Gnome is of our responsibility
>   (GNU, Mozilla, other Gnome friendly dists?)
> - Can we readapt the gettext development
> - XML translation, bonobo-ui
> - Sawfish, lisp translation
> - The Gnome translation scripts
> - Documentation on how to make a program support
>   i18n, and how to translate
> - How to handle other things than po files
> - Consistency
> - Wordlists
> - Mozilla, AbiWord XP-translations
> - Problems with the current tools
> - Making sure that all files get translated
> - Making package maintainers aware of the importaince
>   of well translated products
> - Status of translations
> - How to handle size depending translations
> - Keybindings, accelerators
> - etc etc

Additional topics for discussion

- Style guides
- Test QA process - test suites, test cases, test automation
- Schedule issues
- Translation Memory - leverage across components, across
products
- Message Delivery - would it be good to move to delivering
messages separately to the application?.
- Bug handling - reporting, monitoring, fixing, verification

Regards
Aoife

Here it would be nice if we had a tool which could make a translation
status of a distribution. Ie, for SuSE we would for instance have a
statustabel just like for Gnome - though the packages would be very frozen.

Here it should be a cvs, where you could checkout your "already" merged
po sources. and check them in again, when they are updated.

Also, if the status would mark a package as red if it's going to be
replaced in short time, that would be nice too. Then again, if a new
package/updated package is being added and it's not 100% for your langauge
you should get a mail.

A system for this, that could be used my SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake, etc
would be really nice. Unfortunately I know only little about how distributors
handle their packages, so I make this before knowing so.

This would be *very* nice though, and it should list all packages with
i18n support, from gnome, gnu to kde.

I see it as more importain that the packages are 100% translated in
distributions as compared to individual releases

Also, in gnome we *really* need a module, with a file, where you can
write when you are going to release a new package! If we can get people
to use that, it would really really make my day.

For instance we could call it 'gnome-releases/upcoming'. Then there
could also be a subdir with old release announcements ;) Maybe someone
has better idea, but this way, only people with cvs access know about
the upcoming releases, which I think is good

Kenneth