Re: l10n documentation from Sun

Eric Baudais wrote:

> Michael Twomey <michael twomey ireland sun com>
> Bcc:
> Subject: Re: l10n documentation from Sun
>
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 02:03:19AM -0100, Stefan Rieken wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Despite of that, I think that the l10n documents should be part of the
> > GDP in any case. Can you help Sun to get these docs in CVS? If someone
> > who has currently got CVS access volunteers to put the docs there, then
> > volunteer workers (this includes people from Sun) can get a CVS account
> > and work on it (at least, this seems to be the right procedure to me).
>
> I'd be willing to commit the documents for Sun.

That would be great thanks.

> > Both are (AFAIK) subscribed to gnome-i18n. I promised to keep the i18n
> > list informed, so I'd also like to stay informed of anything (I
> > subscribed to the gnome-doc-list today). You can also simply CC to
> > gnome-i18n, I guess.
>
> My personal feeling is that what happens on this list also affects the
> translation teams.  So, I'd love to see more translators subscribe. :)
>
> > I've taken some of Sun's style guides (for French, Italian, German,
> > Spanish, Swedish and English) and coverted them from their native Frame
> > Maker to XML. They still need a lot of work (converting to docbook,
> > tidying up, changing all the Sun references to Gnome) so I want to put
> > them somewhere people can get at them and help improve them.
>
> Dpes this mean they are converted to DocBook 4.12 XML?  I would like to
> see the style guides also converted to DocBook 3.1 SGML because this is
> the DTD we currently use.  (See archive for reasons against DocBook XML)

No, unfortunately it means the docs are in Frame Makers XML. This is a
machine generated XML file with a custom css. I can also save to .mif
and .html if they are any easier to convert to docbook SGML. As I said
these docs are going to need a bit of work. Ideally if someone can point
me to a tool/guide for producing docbook SGML from Frame Maker 5.5 files
then I can convert them myself.

> I think that the style guide is a welcome addition to our current
> repository of documentation for new and existing writers.  I would
> be willing to commit this to gnome-docu/gdp for Sun.

Sounds good.

> I hope that this document will be licensed under the GFDL.  Using this
> license is the best thing for free software and GNOME.

I hope this is possible too. There might be some legal issues I'm not
aware of but I don't forsee any problems releasing this under the GFDL.

> > I've also created a Gnumeric spreadsheet from a set of terms mined from
> > the Gnome pot files. Again this needs work since it currently only
> > contains a list of English words and it also contains a lot of unwanted
> > terms (mainly  people's names).
>
> I don't believe that this belongs in gnome-docu/gdp, but somewhere in
> gnome-i18n.  This is only related to translations and improving them
> and is not a general document.  So, I'd be willing to commit this to
> gnome-i18n or wherever the GDP and GTP decide it should go.

This sounds good.

My only slight concern is that to be controlled properly under CVS the
gnumeric file should be uncompressed into its native XML which makes the
file quite large (about a megabyte). It mightn't be fair to inflict this
on people downloading gnome-i18n over a modem. Then again I could be
wrong.

thanks,
	mick

--
Michael Twomey
These opinions are my own and do not represent Sun unless otherwise