Re: l10n documentation from Sun

Michael Twomey <michael twomey ireland sun com>
Bcc:
Subject: Re: l10n documentation from Sun

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 02:03:19AM -0100, Stefan Rieken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Despite of that, I think that the l10n documents should be part of the
> GDP in any case. Can you help Sun to get these docs in CVS? If someone
> who has currently got CVS access volunteers to put the docs there, then
> volunteer workers (this includes people from Sun) can get a CVS account
> and work on it (at least, this seems to be the right procedure to me).

I'd be willing to commit the documents for Sun.

> Both are (AFAIK) subscribed to gnome-i18n. I promised to keep the i18n
> list informed, so I'd also like to stay informed of anything (I
> subscribed to the gnome-doc-list today). You can also simply CC to
> gnome-i18n, I guess.

My personal feeling is that what happens on this list also affects the
translation teams.  So, I'd love to see more translators subscribe. :)

> I've taken some of Sun's style guides (for French, Italian, German,
> Spanish, Swedish and English) and coverted them from their native Frame
> Maker to XML. They still need a lot of work (converting to docbook,
> tidying up, changing all the Sun references to Gnome) so I want to put
> them somewhere people can get at them and help improve them.

Dpes this mean they are converted to DocBook 4.12 XML?  I would like to
see the style guides also converted to DocBook 3.1 SGML because this is
the DTD we currently use.  (See archive for reasons against DocBook XML)

I think that the style guide is a welcome addition to our current
repository of documentation for new and existing writers.  I would
be willing to commit this to gnome-docu/gdp for Sun.

I hope that this document will be licensed under the GFDL.  Using this
license is the best thing for free software and GNOME.

> I've also created a Gnumeric spreadsheet from a set of terms mined from
> the Gnome pot files. Again this needs work since it currently only
> contains a list of English words and it also contains a lot of unwanted
> terms (mainly  people's names).

I don't believe that this belongs in gnome-docu/gdp, but somewhere in
gnome-i18n.  This is only related to translations and improving them
and is not a general document.  So, I'd be willing to commit this to
gnome-i18n or wherever the GDP and GTP decide it should go.

> thanks,
> 	mick
>
> --
> Michael Twomey
> These opinions are my own and do not represent Sun unless otherwise
> stated.

Thank you Sun for the additions.

Eric Baudais