Re: open translations database

> Hi Stefan (correct this time I hope)

Yup.

> Here is an example of the terms.  The original terms are
> created using the developers English terms, thereafter
> the term listing can be clean-up and unwanted terms can
> be deleted.
>
> Remove                Panel           Transmit        Edit
> Display       Distribute      Export          Extract
> Import                Measure         Position        Secure
> Separate      Supply          Cancel          Copy
>
> The term listing should have the apporpriate
> application, if different across applications.

This sounds good. I read in this thread that the Swedish and Danish groups (IIRC) already have good rules about terms and their translation. Centralizing this effort, so that all languages will participate and benefit, would be nice, I think.

I trust that you at Sun know what you are doing, and that therefore, as far as I can judge, the terming tool would be a useful application. So if you can apply this to GNOME, you are welcome as far as I'm concerned.

The Translation Memory already had my bless ;-) and seemed to be the cause of a discussion about central translations instead of per-application translations (if I got the order of the discussion thread right). I think that the tool will be suitable for either way of translating.

> > > Style Guides
> > > ------------
> >
> > Sounds swell. Do you think we can use these guides in
> such >terms that the GNOME Documentation Project would
> be likely >to adopt them?
>
> They are very much county specific guide lines. However,
> if English documentation style guides do not exist,
> maybe we should look to create one.

It's a Good Thing that they are country specific, for that's what they are supposed to be.

There are good English guidelines about documentation style, if that was what you meant. If you meant user interface guidelines, then yes, they are still scarce. I would completely welcome better style guidelines, but it's not our primary topic here and now.

> >If these guides get their place at developer.gnome.org,
> >they would get wide attention.
>
> Should we just ask the web mater for permission?. Any
> suggested location?.

I think that the correct way of getting this done is (correct me if I'm wrong):

- Joining the GNOME Documentation Project. This is a question of Yet Another Mailinglist and reading the guide.
- Proposing the documents to the GDP. As these seem to be relevant and useful docs, they are likely to be accepted
- Preparing these documents for use within GNOME. GNOME has some guidelines about the preferred document format (I believe DocBook SGML)

I think the real permission we need is from Sun to use these documents. I'm not sure, but I believe the GDP prefers the GNU Free Document License as a license for their documents. Can this be arranged?

I hereby volunteer to prepare any Dutch documents (e.g. applying SGML and the FDL to them). (Of course other languages as well as long as I can understand what I'm doing, and have the time.)

Another solution would be to feed them to linuxi18n.org -- they're not GNOME specific, right?

Anyway, if you can work out how we can use them, I am prepared to find a good spot for them. Same counts of course for the TM and TT, but I guess that's more long term story?

Greets,

Stefan