Re: open translations database

Hi Stefan (correct this time I hope)

Please see my response below

<Aoife.Dunne@ireland.sun.com>
> Cc: whampton@staffnet.com, gnome-i18n@gnome.org
> Date: 02 Nov 2000 08:07:01 -0100
>
> Hello,
>
> Well, I am sorry to say that my reply is going to be
short: Evolution crashes like a nightmare all of a
sudden. After editing 4 replies and getting crashes at
the end, one gets the idea and makes his replies
shorter.

> > Dear Stephen & All
>
> It's Stefan! ;-)
>

> > My name is Aoife Dunne and I am the project manager
responsible
> > for the GNOME Localisation at Sun.
>
> This is very nice. Now let me race through your topics
before fate strikes again (it must have something to do
with today, I broke everything already today).

> > Terming Tool
> > ------------
>
> Does it produce relevant terms? I mean, we're not
waiting for a database containing words such as
"electron" and "hairdryer". How many relevant terms are
there anyway, and do we need a program to retrieve them?
I'm mainly thinking of terms such as "scrollbar" and
"listbox".

> These terms may vary between different GUIs. For
instance, the Amiga had - I believe they were called - a
"dropdownbox", but not a "dropdownlistbox". Collecting
these terms and agreeing upon them might be a little bit
harder than this. I'm not sure. Anyone?

> Even if we had relevant terms, people would have to
look
> at these terms. This is where the TM comes in mind,
see
> below.

Here is an example of the terms.  The original terms are
created using the developers English terms, thereafter
the term listing can be clean-up and unwanted terms can
be deleted.

Remove 		Panel		Transmit 	Edit
Display 	Distribute 	Export 		Extract
Import 		Measure 	Position 	Secure
Separate 	Supply 		Cancel 		Copy

The term listing should have the apporpriate
application, if different across applications.

> > Translation Memory
> > ------------------
>
> The TM is the idea I had in mind, but then come true.
It would just be great to have this running on e.g.
linuxi18n.org.

Sound good, we should check this out.

> You wonder about licensing terms. Maybe the community
wouldn't even need an open source license, if they can
just use it online.

Yes, difinately should be considered as a good option

> But there's a whole other thing. The TM is not feature
complete, and it probably never will be if it doesn't
allow for community contributions. You might call me mad
on this one, but you'll have to admit that a lot of
"Business Scheme" features in my proposal aren't in the
tool that you describe. Most other ideas that came in
reply to my mail, aren't there as well. There are
language-specific needs for features as well.

> Anyway, what I'm trying to say, this would be a heck
of an open source project, with aid from developers of
all languages, each knowing what is important for their
language, and everyone working on their (good) ideas.

I agree completely, we should investigate

> BTW, the Terming Tool gets really useful if you can
couple it to the sentences that the TM has to work out,
so that translators get the translations for the terms
right away and only have to construct the sentences.

Yes, you are correct and it is planned to be one of the
features in the TM tool we are currentlly developing.

> > Style Guides
> > ------------
>
> Sounds swell. Do you think we can use these guides in
such >terms that the GNOME Documentation Project would
be likely >to adopt them?

They are very much county specific guide lines. However,
if English documentation style guides do not exist,
maybe we should look to create one.

>If these guides get their place at developer.gnome.org,
>they would get wide attention.

Should we just ask the web mater for permission?. Any
suggested location?.

> > * possible act a the host for the translation memory
database,
> > populating newly translated products.
>
> If this is going to work out, I think linuxi18n.org is
a good starting point. We should contact them if this
gets serious.

> > * provide linguistic quality assurance feedback and
implement
> > linguistic changes if necessary checking for
grammar, spelling,
> > inconsistencies etc.
>
> "Linguistic quality assurance feedback" is a good word
for Scrabble :-)

> However, I don't exactly get what you mean here: that
Sun would hire translators to check for grammar? Or is
this also a software solution?

> Now, I am going to press "Send" (OK, "Versturen"
:-)...

> Greets,
>
> Stefan

Cheers