Re: database format et al.

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 07:43:10PM +0000, Robert Brady wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, [iso-8859-1] Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>
> > I would like if we avoid using XML as it is not an open standard.
> > You can only contribute to XML and have a say if yo pay USD 25.000 a year.
> > Everything else in Gnome uses open standards.
>
> Cool, does this mean the C standard is freely redistributable?

You can participate in C standardization without paying aanything,
and you can freely buy the standard. You can even go to a library
and freely get access to all of the standard. (my local library carries
it.) You can also see all the documents that were produced for
the development of the C standard.

For XML you cannot participate with voting rights without paying
USD 25.000 a year and you cannot get hold of any of their development
papers. XML is a specification developed by an oligarky, and I would
advise against using it at all.

Kind regards
Keld