Re: open translations database

"Kenneth Christiansen" <kenneth@gnu.org> writes:

> I know a lot do a good job, but still the process can be better. Often
> I have experienced that people *didn't* want to put out a new release
> because of new translations.

;-( I've had the impression that miguel is fond of our translation
efforts (of course, a pre-release might be nessecary, etc.).  But as
long as a certain software package is considered alpha or beta
translations are not that important.  Such a software package should not
be used in school ;)

> Sorry, but that is the sad truth. Also, especially distributions (I do
> not know about suse) don't like updating packages for this.

In part that's true.  We're not allowed to add those "cosmetical"
updates to a released distribution.  But we are allowed to add newer
message files for forthcoming releases (say: gnome-libs-1.2.8 plus newer
.po/.mo files from the CVS for SuSE Linux 7.1).  That's what I've
actually done for tools like `wget' and I'd certainly do it for GNOME
programs if a package is really old (and newer translations are
available) or if users will send me precise feedback (which package,
which language).

> > > - lack of translators
> >
> > It depends...
> ;) Good translators.

Okay, you're right :)

> But first I need to discuss the implimentation with some of
> my fellow hackers ;)

Good.

> should it be a new pot file? or should this be done differently

For now I'd like to stick with pot/po files for editing purposes.

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,