Re: open translations database

"Peteris Krisjanis" <peterisk@apollo.lv> writes:

> I think biggest problem for translators is that there's no place in web
> with:
> *translation specifics - HOWTOs, FAQ, etc.;
> *translation formats, projects, etc. (GNU gettext, etc.);
> *information about translation programs;
> *other kind of information and possibility to host team page and project;
> (of coarse, they can use sourceforge.net, but there it can be more specific)

That's quite true -- all info is available but scattered around.

> And in the end, about 'bad' or 'good' translations - IMO, relatively good
> translation is when in fits in such factors:
> *it's understandable to 80-90% of users of that language (balance between
> tech. specific and user-friendly terms)
> *it's uses specifics of languages, e.g. uses proper apex, etc.
> *it's done almost in time (for every release) - but it's last factor, not so
> important;

You're completely right.  Remember, GNOME is a free project (freedom).
Pressing project members (the hackers) will make things worse.  The
gettext manual has nice sections on this issue.

You've to be very careful if you think it's the best to change the
current workflow and the current tools chain (gettext collection and PO
file format).

As a proof of concept I'd like to see a prototype based on XML -- but
please, stay away from proprietary Java implementations ;) For the time
being Java is no fun on GNU/Linux.

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,